Which documents do immigrants need if they want to live in Brazil?

Check out the list of documents immigrants should submit to officially live in Brazil

The importance of Brazil in the global scenario is increasing, as well as the number of foreigners in the country. With a great climate and very warm people, Brazil attracts the attention of different immigrants around the world.

However, is it too difficult to get a residence permit?

To answer this question, we decided to talk a little about how it works. You will understand in what situations a foreigner can live in Brazil and what documents immigrants need to submit to live in the country. Check it out:

In what circumstances can an immigrant become a Brazilian resident?

Foreigners can live in Brazil based on different scenarios. If some of the options below apply to you, you are qualified to a permanent residence card:

  • Marriage to a Brazilian citizen;
  • Having a child with a Brazilian citizen;
  • Retirement – individuals who are retired and can show proof of regular minimum fixed income may qualify;
  • Family reunion;
  • High-level scientists or researchers;
  • For investment purposes – individuals who invest a minimum of BRL 150,000.00 in a company or Brazilian real estate may be eligible;
  • Being the administrator, manager or director of a company.

Each of the conditions above requires specific documents, detailed below.

Also, former residents who have lost their residence status (because they have been out of the country for two years or more) can also apply again. Residence can also be granted to political refugees or asylum seekers.

Necessary documents

Immigrants are required to submit the following documents if they want to live in Brazil, in addition to a visa that will ensure their entry into the country: National Registry of Foreigners (RNE), Individual Taxpayer Registration (CPF), and Work and Social Security Card (CTPS), if necessary, under the Brazilian law.

National Registry of Foreigners (RNE)

It’s an ID for foreigners who come to Brazil to live, temporarily or permanently. This document must be obtained within 30 days of arrival in the country, accompanied by the visa, if any.

Holders must carry the original document, mainly on national and international trips, under penalty of a fine. In cases where the permanent RNE has not been issued, it can be replaced by the application or enrolment number and passport.

Individual Taxpayer Registration (CPF)

The Individual Taxpayer Registration of the Ministry of Economy is the registration of all persons who may or may not pay income tax, under the Brazilian tax legislation.

Besides, CPF is required in most basic day-to-day operations, such as issuing a check, for example.

CPF has become a reference and identification for financial transactions and, based on the number of this document, stores and commercial establishments verify whether the issuer of the check has credit or payment problems.

Work and Social Security Card (CTPS)

The Work and Social Security Card identifies workers in Brazil, regardless of their nationality.

This document must contain all the main elements of the employment contract, such as the employer’s name, date of admission, job title, and wages, for example. It is a mandatory document for employees according to CLT (Consolidation of Labor Laws).

Are there any other necessary documents?

Depending on the type of permit, other documents may be required from immigrants who want to live in Brazil:

  • Child of Brazilian nationality: proof of identity for the child and the Brazilian partner, birth certificate and a statement confirming capacity to provide for the child;
  • Marriage to a Brazilian citizen: proof of identity for the Brazilian spouse, marriage certificate and a statement confirming the applicant is not separated or divorced from his/her spouse;
  • Family reunion: proof of identity for the person currently living in Brazil and the family member seeking residence, proof of a family relationship between the interested parties (such as birth or marriage certificate), a statement confirming that the person seeking residence has not been charged or convicted of a crime in or outside Brazil, proof that the current family member residing in Brazil can financially provide for the applicant;
  • High-level scientist or researcher: valid temporary visa, statement that the residence permit applicant has not been charged or convicted of a crime in or outside Brazil, curriculum and proof of qualification, proof of previous work experience, at least 2 years, in science and technology;
  • Refugee: proof of identity and a statement confirming the person seeking residence permit has not been charged or convicted of a crime in or outside Brazil, as well as proof of persecution and refugee status.

Applicants must also provide a valid passport, passport photos and pay an administration fee.

Birth, marriage, and other certificates must be legalized at a local consulate or embassy and translated into Portuguese by a sworn translator in Brazil.

Criminal control by the local police is also required in all countries where the applicant has lived in the past 5 years. Police records must also be translated.

In addition, applicants must have their fingerprints taken.

Other documents are required in addition to those mentioned above on a case-by-case basis. For more information, visit the Ministry of Justice website.

In all cases, documents required from immigrants must be original and certain documents (evidence of qualification and diplomas, for example) must be translated by a sworn translation service if they are in a language other than Portuguese.

To avoid problems with the paperwork, count on a translation agency that is highly qualified for the task.

Fidelity Translations operates in major translation segments and has competent professionals to perform any type of service, with flexible delivery terms and commitment to quality.

Your documents will be translated accurately, based on international protocols.

Solicite sua Tradução

Postagens Relacionadas